Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Scientific Articles about Galaxy Evolution and Post-quenched Galaxies

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Dear all,

Please click here for short summaries of relevant galaxy evolution and post-quenched galaxy articles. That page also provides access to the full article PDFs.

If there are other scientific articles that you would recommend your collaborators read (yep, that's all of us here within Quench Talk), please post them here.

Thanks!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Very handy! 😃

When will this be accessible other than via Blogger?

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

New paper:

arXiv:1308.0054 Massive blue early-type galaxies in the SDSS. I. A new population of recently quenched elliptical galaxies from Daniel H. McIntosh et al. (DRAFT: 2 August 2013)

ABSTRACT We use the Sloan Digital Sky Survey to explore early-type galaxies that are plausibly in transition between the quiescent red sequence and the star-forming blue cloud. Through careful morphological inspection, we identify 1500 unusually blue elliptical galaxies among a larger sample of similarly blue and centrally-concentrated (cr >2.6) early-type galaxies with redshifts 0.01 < z < 0.08 and stellar masses > 10^10 h^-2 Mʘ (h = h100).These blue ellipticals are structurally distinct from star-forming disk galaxies and comprise 3.7 per cent of all cr > 2.6 galaxies with masses between 10^10 and 10^11 h^-2 Mʘ. Using published fiber spectra diagnostics, we find a unique population of 172 non-star-forming ellipticals with distinctly blue urz colors and Young (less than 3 Gyr) light-weighted stellar ages. These recently quenched ellipticals (RQEs) have a number density of 2.7-4.7x10^-5 h^3 Mpc-3 and sufficient numbers above 2.5 x 10^10 h^-2 Mʘ to account for more than half of the expected quiescent growth at late cosmic time assuming this phase lasts 0.5 Gyr. RQEs are an important population clearly transitioning redward. Based on color, stellar M/L ratios and metallicity estimates, we argue that RQEs have recent star formation histories that differ from rejuvenated or ‘frosted’ earlytype galaxies. Yet, a significant but small incidence (5 per cent) of RQEs with E+A spectra implies that the quenching of most RQEs did not involve a large starburst. A number of RQE properties are consistent with these galaxies being new remnants from a gaseous major merger (i.e., ‘first-generation’ ellipticals). The preferred environment of RQEs (90 per cent reside at the centers of less than 3 x 10^12 h^-1 Mʘ groups) agrees well with the ‘small group scale’ in which spiral merging onto the halo center is maximally efficient. Under the simple assumption that the RQE phase lasts twice as long as the visible signatures of spiral-spiral interactions, the z ~ 0 frequency of such encounters can account for the RQE counts. RQEs provide some constraints on quenching processes in plausible merger remnants, including an increased association with Seyfert activity, but cannot provide direct quenching-feedback connections because of inherent differences in AGN and A-star timescales. Instead, the RQE environment rules out satellite-specific quenching processes for most of the sample. Under the assumption that most RQEs were quenched by a hot halo atmosphere impeding efficient gas cooling, we discuss the incidence of Seyfert and LINER activity in RQEs and their plausible descendants with regard to the maintenance-mode feedback needed to keep star formation shut off at the centers of such small halos. Further exploration of RQEs and RQE descendants holds promise for illuminating the complex physics of quenching and its role in galaxy evolution.

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

Here a recent article.

Hubble’s COSMOS survey solves “quenched” galaxy mystery

Scientists found that a large number of bigger galaxies switch off at later times, joining their smaller quenched siblings and giving the mistaken impression of individual galaxy growth over time.

http://astronomy.com/~/link.aspx?_id=74f7f751-82cc-496b-af1b-761e46d84d1b

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Hi all,

We've added another article summary to the Post-Quenched Galaxy LIterature Review blog.. Thank you Mike Zevin!

The new addition is a summary of an article by Darg and collaborators about using the Galaxy Zoo results to learn about galaxy mergers. What's particularly useful about the article to our project is that it contains a series of standard plots that we should consider making with our sample.

Posted

• sharon039 by sharon039

I found the last article by Kaviraj to be thought provoking, especially the part about how the quenching efficiency changed with galaxy mass. I noticed that in figure 3 that some outliers exist in the galaxy mass vs. time scale plot. When classifying, I noticed that some of the galaxies had structures that could have been a decaying arm. I am wondering if some of the galaxies' less than perfect placement could be due to those structural arms working like a vibrating rod works when construction workers are compacting concrete...where the rod carries the vibration through its whole length and the vibrations spread out from the rod's entire length. Has the effect on those structures and their placement in galaxy transition been studied? Any articles?

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

This paper by Fang et al. posted 27 Aug. on arxiv.org has one of the clearest high level discussions of possible mechanisms to quench star formation I've read: http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.5224. Start at the second paragraph of the introduction.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

"The nature of LINER galaxies:" http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.4271.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Post-starburst--AGN Connection: Spatially Resolved Spectroscopy of Hdelta-Strong AGNs

Tomotsugu Goto (JAXA)

(Submitted on 8 May 2006)

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0605202

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

E+A and Companion Galaxies - I : A Catalogue and Statistics
    Chisato Yamauchi (ISAS/Jaxa), Masafumi Yagi (NAOJ), Tomotsugu Goto (Ifa/Uh)
    (Submitted on 4 Sep 2008)
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.0890

Spatially-Resolved Medium Resolution Spectroscopy of an Interacting E+A (post-starburst) System with the Subaru telescope
    Tomotsugu Goto (Ifa/UH), Masafumi Yagi (NAOJ), Chisato Yamauchi (ISAS/JAXA)
    (Submitted on 4 Sep 2008)
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.0891

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

The current star formation rate of K+A galaxies

We derive the stacked 1.4 GHz flux from FIRST (Faint Images of the Radio Sky at Twenty Centimeters) survey for 811 K+A galaxies selected from the SDSS DR7.

Danielle Nielsen (Wisconsin), Roberto De Propris (CTIO), Susan E. Ridgway (CTIO), Tomotsugu Goto (IfA, Hawaii)

(Submitted on 3 Jun 2011 (v1), last revised 22 Oct 2012 (this version, v2))
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1106.0757

Citations to the Article:
    2013MNRAS.431.2034M by Melnick, J.; De Propris, R.
    The spectral energy distributions of K+A galaxies from the UV to the mid-IR: stellar populations, star formation and hot dust

They used the sample from the other paper. De Propris, R. is among the authors of both papers.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

The Fundamental Planes of E+A galaxies and GALEX UV-excess early-type galaxies: Revealing their intimate connection

In particular, we examine the FP scaling relations of the largest sample of ~1,000 E+As selected from the SDSS and ~20,000 morphologically-selected SDSS ETGs with GALEX UV data.

Yumi Choi (1), Tomotsugu Goto (2,3), Suk-Jin Yoon (1) ((1) Yonsei University, (2) ISAS/JAXA, (3) University of Hawaii)

(Submitted on 7 Apr 2009)

http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1209

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Quenching of Star Formation

Here we will review a new robust and iterative Principal Component Analysis (PCA) algorithm, which solves several common issues with classic PCA. Application to the 4000AA break region of galaxies in the VIMOS VLT Deep Survey (VVDS) and Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) gives new high signal-to-noise ratio spectral indices easily interpretable in terms of recent star formation history.

Vivienne Wild, Tamas Budavari, Jeremy Blaizot, C. Jakob Walcher, Peter H. Johansson, Gerard Lemson, Gabriella de Lucia, Stephane Charlot
    (Submitted on 7 Nov 2008)
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0811.1174

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to zutopian's comment.

The technical paper describing the technique used by Wild et al. is Budavari et al. (2009).

Their (and others) methods for filling in missing values were criticized by Tsalmantza and Hogg (2012), who present an alternative algorithm based on iterative matrix factorization. Essentially the same algorithm was used earlier by Blanton and Roweis (2007) to create templates for spectral fitting.

I've implemented versions of Tsalmantza and Hogg's algorithm for PCA and the Blanton & Roweis algorithm for template generation.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to mlpeck's comment.

Budavari is a co-author of the Wild et al. paper and Wild is a co-author of the Budavari et al paper.

In below paper by Yan-Mei Chen et al., the Budavari et al 2009 paper is mentioned as follows.:

Our method makes use of Principle Component Analysis (PCA), a standard multivariate analysis technique (see Budavari
    et al 2009., for a recent discussion).

Evolution of the Most Massive Galaxies to z=0.6: I. A New Method for Physical Parameter Estimation
    Yan-Mei Chen, Guinevere Kauffmann, Christy A. Tremonti, Simon White, Timothy M. Heckman, Katarina Kovac, Kevin Bundy, John Chisholm, Claudia Maraston, Donald P. Schneider, Adam S. Bolton, Benjamin A. Weaver, Jon Brinkmann
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.4719

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

New on arxiv 27 November 2013: NGC1266 as a Local Candidate for Rapid Cessation of Star Formation. NGC 1266 is outside the SDSS footprint and therefore not in the quench sample, but the paper is well worth reading anyway. The authors present integral-field and long slit spectroscopy as well as archival images from HST and other sources and some radio data as well. They show rather conclusively that star formation ceased rapidly ~1/2 Gyr ago, probably from the outside in, while current AGN activity is likely to be considerably younger.

The following quote from the conclusion is rather interesting:

The absorption features in the nucleus of NGC 1266 indicate the
    presence of a non-negligible fraction of < 1 Gyr- aged stars. The
    model-derived A/K fraction of NGC 1266 of
    2.1 would lead it to be classified as post-starburst in SDSS, but previous studies have likely failed to recognize the post- starburst
    nature of NGC 1266 due to the presence of strong ionized gas emission.
    However, as Davis et al. (2012) demon- strated, the ionized gas in NGC
    1266 is most likely the re- sult of shocks associated with the outflow
    rather than SF. NGC 1266-like post-starbursts may be rejected by
    standard post-starburst searches due to the presence of the ionized
    gas emission, and it is therefore imperative to expand the search for
    post-starburst candidates to include galaxies with shock- like line
    ratios.

And it's a shame that this project is seemingly moribund since we have just such a sample in hand.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Wild et al. (2007) is almost certainly the direct predecessor of both the work by Chen et al. (2012) that was cited early on and the unpublished models by Chen that were used to make the quench sample selection.

Note that Wild+ used the wavelength range 3750-4150Å, which is the same range used for the quench sample selection and rather narrower than that of Chen+. Note also in figure 1 of Wild+ the eigenspectra look rather similar to the ones in this figure linked by Trouille a while back: https://vault.it.northwestern.edu/let412/GZQuench/Talk_Images/fig1and2.pdf -- there are some differences in detail and Wild's eigenspectrum 3 is an upside down version of Chen's PC3 (this makes no difference).

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

This doesn't directly relate to quenching of star formation, but may be relevant to the project anyway. Tempel et al. 2014, "Flux- and volume-limited groups/clusters for the SDSS galaxies: catalogues and mass estimation" presents an updated catalog of galaxies and groups of galaxies from SDSS based on DR10. I had used their DR8 based catalog in this discussion of quench galaxy environments.

I noticed a couple things that might be of particular interest to JeanTate:

• They provide a succinct discussion of errors in the SDSS pipeline and what they did about them.
    • The data tables include morphologies from several groups including GZ1.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

New on arxiv 21 February, Schawinski et al. (2014: http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.4814): "The Green Valley is a Red Herring: Galaxy Zoo reveals two evolutionary pathways towards quenching of star formation in early- and late-type galaxies."

I may comment further on this one, but for now I wonder if the use of the phrase"Red Herring" in the title isn't itself something of a red herring intended to make their conclusions seem more controversial than they really are.

More of a strawman, I think.

Posted

• mzevin1 by mzevin1 scientist, moderator

I posted an article summary of the paper mlpeck mentioned in the above post, if you're interested in taking a look its up on the Quench blogspot.

I agree with mlpeck's analysis of the 'red herring', pretty much what they meant by that is that the green valley is not visible in the color-mass plots of just the red sequence or blue cloud, but moreso a result of overlaying the two populations.

Mike

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Not about post-quenched galaxies per se, but quite relevant to the Quench Project because of the possibly large systematic effect aperture effects can produce: Aperture Effects on Spectroscopic Galaxy Activity Classification (Maragkoudakis+, arXiv:1404.0620):

Activity classification of galaxies based on long-slit and fiber spectroscopy can be strongly influenced by aperture effects. Here we investigate how activity classification for 14 nearby galaxies depends on the proportion of the host galaxy's light that is included in the aperture. We use both observed long-slit spectra and simulated elliptical-aperture spectra of different sizes. The degree of change varies with galaxy morphology and nuclear activity type. Starlight removal techniques can mitigate but not remove the effect of host galaxy contamination in the nuclear aperture. Galaxies with extra-nuclear star formation can show higher [O III] {\lambda}5007/H{\beta} ratios with increasing aperture, in contrast to the naive expectation that integrated light will only dilute the nuclear emission lines. We calculate the mean dispersion for the diagnostic line ratios used in the standard BPT diagrams with respect to the central aperture of spectral extraction to obtain an estimate of the uncertainties resulting from aperture effects.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist

Hi all,

Here are a few of the latest papers that are relevant to this project

http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.5269
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.3394

I know that for the most part, most of the discussion still revolves around the unresolved issue of sample selection but if people want a break from that, would you all care to write the introduction to the paper that will eventuate from Quench? I am sure that you are all quite familiar with the field by now so it might help to take a step back to review the state of knowledge at this point about post-quenched galaxies. Any takers?

A standard introduction for a paper involves 2 parts.
    Part 1: Summary current understanding and what the main outstanding questions
    Part 2: Purpose of this project/paper and description of outstanding unanswered questions.

I know we are not ready to write Part 2 but do perhaps we can try writing Part 1 now. Any takers?

cheers,
    Ivy

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks Ivy.

Here are a few of the latest papers that are relevant to this project

http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.5269 http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.3394

The first is a live link, but not the second (though copy/pasting it into a browser will bring you the abstract of Bulge mass is king: The dominant role of the bulge in determining the fraction of passive galaxies in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, by Asa F. L. Bluck, J. Trevor Mendel, Sara L. Ellison, Jorge Moreno, Luc Simard, David R. Patton, Else Starkenburg).

if people want a break from that, would you all care to write the introduction to the paper that will eventuate from Quench?

Good suggestion.

The Project Overview page on the main Quench website says this:

We will use Authorea to collaboratively write the article online. Within Authorea, we can drag and drop figures, write text, manage references, and easily keep track of previous versions and edits. To access and contribute to our article on Authorea, please click here.

When I clicked the "here" link, I got a Google Forms page, entitled "Post-quenched Galaxy Project: Authorea Sign-Up", which asked me for my name and email addy:

To access and contribute to the Post-Quenched Galaxy article on Authorea.com, please provide your name and email address below. We will follow up with an invitation to join the site.

I filled in the form, and am awaiting an invitation.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to ivywong's comment.

Ivy:

Would it make sense to start compiling a list of potential references in Bibtex format? I can probably do that when I get back to the computer where most of my literature is stored.

I'm assuming that authorea knows about Bibtex, which I hope is safe.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Hot off the press: Integral Field spectroscopy of two HI rich E+A galaxies, Pracy+ 2014:

Approximately half of the nearby E+A galaxies followed up with 21-cm observations have detectable HI emission. The optical spectra of these galaxies show strong post-starburst stellar populations but no optical emission lines implying star-formation is not ongoing despite the presence of significant gas reservoirs. We have obtained integral field spectroscopic follow up observations of the two brightest, and nearest, of the six E+A galaxies with HI 21-cm emission in the recent sample of Zwaan et al. (2013). In the central regions of both galaxies the observations are consistent with a post-starburst population with little emission. However, outside the central regions both galaxies have strong optical emission lines, with a clumpy or knot-like distribution, indicating ongoing star-formation. We conclude that in these two cases the presence of optical spectra lacking evidence for star-formation while a large gas mass is present can be explained by an aperture effect in selecting the nearby E+A galaxies using single-fibre spectroscopy that probes only the galaxy core.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

New on arxiv 16 July 2014: Yesuf, Faber, Trump et al.: From Starburst to Quiescence: Testing AGN feedback in Rapidly Quenching Post-Starburst Galaxies. Here is the last half of the abstract:

The AGN fraction, as estimated from optical line ratios, of these
    post-starbursts is about 3 times higher (≳36±8%) than that of normal
    star-forming galaxies of the same mass, but there is a significant
    delay between the starburst phase and the peak of nuclear optical AGN
    activity (median age difference of ≳200±100 Myr), in agreement with
    previous studies. The time delay is inferred by comparing the
    broad-band near NUV-to-optical photometry with stellar population
    synthesis models. We also find that starbursts and post-starbursts are
    significantly more dust-obscured than normal star-forming galaxies in
    the same mass range. About 20% of the starbursts and 15% of the
    transiting post-starbursts can be classified as the "Dust-Obscured
    Galaxies" (DOGs), while only 0.8% of normal galaxies are DOGs.The time
    delay between the starburst phase and AGN activity suggests that AGN
    do not play a primary role in the original quenching of starbursts but
    may be responsible for quenching later low-level star formation during
    the post-starburst phase.

Note 2 of their conclusions seem consistent with results from our sample: the AGN fraction is higher than normal and they are dustier than average.

The authors only discuss morphology briefly, including a mention of Galaxy Zoo.

Added:

Here's the first sentence of section 6.2 (the conclusion):

The unique spectral properties of quenched post- starburst galaxies
    hint that these objects are recently quenched starbursts.

I'm wondering how this is not a tautology.

I also wonder if they plan to publish their sample. I see no mention of an intention to do so, but I'm sure someone could ask.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

A couple of conference proceedings of note. Unfortunately one just has an abstract and the other is paywalled, but at least the author list gives an indication of who comprise the core science team:

Trouille, L; Willett, K; Masters, K; Lintott, C; Whyte, L; Lynn, S; Tremonti, C. Cosmic Collisions: Galaxy Mergers and Evolution.

Trouille, L. et al. 2013, Post-Starburst Galaxies: Probing the Role of Mergers and AGN Activity in Quenching Star Formation

Here is the abstract of the 2nd paper in full:

We conduct a visual morphological classification of a sample of 2812
    Sloan Digital Sky Survey post-starburst galaxies. We find a mass
    dependence in the fraction of post-starbursts exhibiting merger
    signatures; those with stellar masses above 1010.5 M&sun; are 1.7
    times more likely to exhibit merger signatures than those with lower
    masses. We also find a higher likelihood of Active Galactic Nuclei
    (AGN) in more massive post-starburst galaxies; of the post-starbursts
    that can be placed on the BPT optical emission line diagnostic, 91%
    (25%) with M* >= 1010.5M&sun; (M* < 1010.5M&sun;) host AGN.
    Post-starbursts that do harbor AGN activity appear to have experienced
    a significant time delay, more than a few 100 Myr, between the
    quenching of star formation and the onset of AGN activity. This
    suggests that AGN feedback in post-starburst galaxies plays more of a
    `maintenance' role (preventing further episodes of star formation),
    rather than a direct quenching role.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

New on arxiv 29 October 2014: Pattarakijwanich, P. et al. 2014: The Evolution of Post-Starburst Galaxies from z~1 to the Present.

The introductory section has a good literature review and a maybe too simple discussion of possible mechanisms for quenching. Their sample selection is based on template fitting, which is quite different from the way the Quench sample was selected. Also they required weak [O II] emission, which as they note will exclude many AGN. Also of interest is they noticed the rather large catastrophic error rate in redshift measurements in the SDSS spectro pipeline for post-starburst galaxies. They estimated about a 6% error rate for SDSS I/II targets and 2% for BOSS. For comparison I found 29/564 (5%) of Goto's catalog have erroneous redshifts in DR9.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

There's nothing but a tweet and a screen grab so far, but interesting nonetheless. This is an accepted abstract for a paper to be presented at an AAS meeting in January 2015:

Lintott, C., Smethurst, R., and Simmons, B.: Galaxy Zoo: Evidence for a Diversity of Routes through the Green Valley.

What's interesting? They're covering the same territory as the quench project yet there's no mention of it in the title and, if the work is built in part on the quench project there are authors missing.

Edit: Abstracts are online; it just takes a bit of digging to find them. Here is the abstract in full:

Understanding the ways in which galaxies change as they move from blue
    to red is critical to understanding the build up of the present-day
    galaxy population, and can best be addressed by looking at systems in
    the process of transitioning. We present the results of a new analysis
    of the population of galaxies which passes through the ‘green valley’
    evident in optical colour-mass diagrams. Using data from SDSS and
    Galex, and a Bayesian analysis of their most probable star formation
    histories, we show that multiple routes through the green valley
    exist. By using Galaxy Zoo morphologies, we are able to draw on
    probabilistic estimates of morphology and find - in contrast to
    previous work - that there is evidence for slow, intermediate and
    rapid transitions from blue to red. Constraining these populations
    provides evidence for rapid morphological change in some populations,
    presumably through major mergers, and underpins our understanding of
    the build up of the red sequence.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Besides "Galaxy Zoo: Evidence for a Diversity of Routes through the Green Valley", which mlpeck mentioned above, there is going to be following related presentation at the forthcoming 225th AAS meeting.:

JANUARY 07, 2015 3:00 PM - 3:10 PM
    324.05. Star formation, quenching, black hole feedback and the fate of gas reservoirs
    Contributing Teams: Galaxy Zoo team
    AUTHORS: Kevin Schawinski1, Ivy Wong2, C. M. Urry3, Kyle Willett4, Brooke D. Simmons5

PS: It is missing in the below GZ tweet!
    https://twitter.com/galaxyzoo/status/528687996531638272

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Two new papers on arxiv 11 November 2014:

Hiner, K. and Canalizo, G. 2014, "Kinematics of Stellar Populations in Post-Starburst Galaxies."

The authors used long slit spectra to investigate the kinematics of the young and old populations in 9 post-starburst galaxies drawn from Goto's catalog. I haven't yet checked if any of these are in the Quench sample.

Kaviraj, S. et al. 2014, "The triggering of local AGN and their role in regulating star formation."

This is a radio study using VLBI to detect AGN.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Paper on arxiv 19 December 2014:

Rowlands, K. et al. 2015, "The evolution of the cold interstellar medium in galaxies following a starburst."

I'm posting this for the sake of completeness and because this work is from the same lineage as the Quench project in terms of sample selection. Compare their Figure 1 with one that trouille linked early on:

enter image description here

enter image description here

Sample selection in both projects was based on a principal components decomposition of model spectra in the wavelength range 3750-4150Å for a wide range of star formation histories. As noted in the caption to Figure 1 of the Rowlands paper PC1 in these models essentially corresponds to the D4000 break strength while PC2 measures Balmer absorption line strength. A strong starburst will, as it ages, evolve upwards along the left edge of the cloud of points and if it takes a one way trip it eventually reaches a peak in PC2 and then fades towards the red sequence. This is also shown in the second figure where the trajectories of a few starbursts of varying strength are shown. The Quench sample (shown as the red dots in the second figure) was drawn from a narrow wedge in the PC1-PC2 plane which by Rowland's calibration corresponds to post-starbursts with ages >∼500Myr. In fact their followup sample of 11 objects includes 3 from the Quench sample, all in their oldest age bin.

Here is the complete abstract:

We present the evolution of dust and molecular gas properties in a
    sample of 11 z∼0.03 starburst to post-starburst (PSB) galaxies
    selected to span an age sequence from ongoing starburst to 1 Gyr after
    the starburst ended. All PSBs harbour significant molecular gas and
    dust reservoirs and residual star formation, indicating that complete
    quenching of the starburst due to exhaustion or expulsion of gas has
    not occurred during this timespan. As the starburst ages, we observe a
    clear decrease in the star-formation efficiency, molecular gas and SFR
    surface density, and effective dust temperature, from levels
    coincident with starburst galaxies to those of normal star-forming
    galaxies. These trends are consistent with a natural decrease in the
    SFR following consumption of molecular gas by the starburst, and
    corresponding decrease in the interstellar radiation field strength as
    the starburst ages. The gas and dust contents of the PSBs are
    coincident with those of star-forming galaxies and molecular gas-rich
    early-type galaxies, and are not consistent with galaxies on the
    red-sequence. We find no evidence that the global gas reservoir is
    expelled by stellar winds or AGN feedback. Our results show that
    although a strong starburst in a low-redshift galaxy may cause the
    galaxy to ultimately have a lower specific SFR and be of an earlier
    morphological type, the galaxy will remain in the "green valley" for
    an extended time. Multiple such episodes may be needed to complete
    migration of the galaxy from the blue- to red-sequence.

Posted