Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Potential Plots to Include in the Final Article

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

In this thread, please post plots that you think might be particularly useful to include in our final article. By useful, this could mean that the plot(s) helps provide background/context and/or describe the sample and/or illustrate a major result, etc.

Once we compile all possible interesting plots to include, we'll need to find a way to limit it to 4 plots. The limit is because we're aiming to submit a MNRAS Letter, which are limited to ~4-5 pages and ~4 plots.

We can first try to just have the discussion through the thread, giving the pros and cons of different plots. If we have trouble converging on ~4, we could then try a voting system.

Definitely if you have recommendations on the process, don't hesitate to post them. But let's try not to get too focused on the process before we have the potential plots to discuss.

These 4 plots will help provide the backbone along which the rest of the article will build itself. It'll help us define what our major results are, it'll set the background info and context we need to include in our introduction, it'll help us narrow in on what we want to focus on in the discussion, and set how we present our conclusions.

Once we have the 4 plots set, then we'll open up the authorea article and start the writing!

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

These two plots illustrate the most significant observable properties of the full sample:

enter image description here

This may be the most significant physical relationship:

This graph is based entirely on modeled properties of the samples, namely stellar mass and star formation rate. Essentially the same information is provided by plotting SFR against absolute magnitude.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

And here's my fourth candidate: a color-stellar mass plot (this could also be done as a color magnitude plot):

Must I start writing colour now?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to trouille's comment.

Depending on what we end up doing re removing outliers, I think we should consider including at least one plot showing the effect that the outliers (or one class of such) has on other analyses/plot results.

I've begun to look at how not excluding objects with small fiber covering fractions affects the various results other zooites have reported so far. It's early days, but as 'small fiber covering fraction' correlates strongly with redshift, which in turn correlates with stellar mass (in both QS and QC), I won't be least bit surprised to discover that 'mass fraction' results are at least somewhat affected by not excluding objects with small fiber covering fractions.

Along the same lines, I'm considering examining differences in the galaxy color (e.g. u-r) - mass diagrams (CMDs): if you use the fiber colors how do the diagrams differ from those using colors derived from modelmags?

Posted