Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

GZ Quench: Classification Complete - Now the Real Fun Begins

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Dear all,

This morning we reached 100% of the 120,000 classifications at quench.galaxyzoo.org. THANK YOU ALL!

Now the fun begins -- Phase 2, Data Analysis and Discussion. I just posted on the GZ blog about launching into this new phase.

I'd recommend getting started by reading the blog post as well as the following Talk posts:

We're also going to test out holding 'office hours' on Quench Talk. Check out this board for details.

Please let us know how else we (the Moderators and the Science Team) can help!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

"Now the Real Fun Begins" - Absolutely!

With the exception of Space Warps and the Overlaps catalog, no Galaxy Zoo-related project has gone beyond classifying1.

Now that the classifications are in hand, how do we - the Quench zooites - get hold of them?

For example, will they be loaded into the two GZ Tools databases (Quench Sample and Quench Control)? Where will the classification data be described?

Is there a way to upload SDSS DR10 data on 'the 6004', whether into Tools or a Quench zooite's own machine?

(Hmm, maybe I should have written this post in the Advice on carrying out data analysis using Quench Tools thread?)

1 As far as I know; anyone have other exceptions? Of course, in Planet Hunters they've been going beyond classifications for quite a while now

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

A cross match of the 6004 objects with the sample of the recent paper 'Massive blue early-type galaxies in the SDSS. I. A new population of recently quenched elliptical galaxies " could give a nice discussion on zooites classifications versus professionals ones (similar to morphology discussions from GZ1 )

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Is that sample available? The paper posted on arxiv.org only gives a tiny subset of the catalog, with the rest to be published in the full electronic edition -- which means sometime in the future and hidden to non-subscribers of MNRAS.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to C_cld's comment.

Yes it certainly could!

As mlpeck already noted, however, we'd need to get at least the IDs of each of those ~1500 objects.

Differences in selection criteria will certainly have led to some interesting overlaps (objects which meet both sets of criteria) and otherwise.

Suggestions for how we could get hold of those IDs?

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

Hubble’s COSMOS survey solves “quenched” galaxy mystery

http://astronomy.com/~/link.aspx?_id=74f7f751-82cc-496b-af1b-761e46d84d1b

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls in response to JeanTate's comment.

Here a recent article.

Hubble’s COSMOS survey solves “quenched” galaxy mystery

Scientists found that a large number of bigger galaxies switch off at later times, joining their smaller quenched siblings and giving the mistaken impression of individual galaxy growth over time.

http://astronomy.com/~/link.aspx?_id=74f7f751-82cc-496b-af1b-761e46d84d1b

Posted

• lpspieler by lpspieler moderator

Hi, just started around playing with the data.
    Unfortunately the columns with our classifications seem to be all zero for every galaxy both in the main and in the control sample.
    Have the classification data already been uploaded?

Posted