Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Uploading Plots

• Louise93 by Louise93

Hi,

I have found it much easier to work with the data using offline data analysis tools on my computer rather than the online tools. Is there any way to upload plots directly from a personal computer to the discussion boards so that other people can view them and give comments?

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

This worked, but it seems a bit cumbersome. I created a graph in R, saved it to a jpeg, uploaded that to server space I pay for, and used the "image" tool in the toolbar to point to that. For some reason it doesn't work if you enter an image description.

I suppose you could get a dropbox account or something similar and use that as an intermediate storage location. There's gotta be a better way though.

enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to mlpeck's comment.

That's similar to how I display plots/graphs/charts in my Galaxy Zoo forum Object of the Day articles!

I do a screen capture, then use a free image processing tool (Gimp 2, in my case) to create a PNG image, which I upload to my PhotoBucket account (also free).

Here are two examples, from this post in the thread Wednesday, 13th July, 2011: What do you think of this?1. The first is a Figure in a preprint; the second a graph I created myself (see that post for details):

1 Which, I hasten to add, has nothing whatsoever to do with E+A galaxies! It's about Michael Longo's paper on the universe having a 'net spin'.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

if you are using dropbox for reasons I don't understand you have to edit the link url to change the www bit to dl (and ignore the description bit

so using the link from dropbox - (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo33dg24vmi41ci/Sample.JPG/) in the picture insert on the tool bar doesnt work giving this enter image description here if you do the same thing but change www to dl (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mo33dg24vmi41ci/Sample.JPG) you get the pic

Posted