Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

New Classifications Needed

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Hi all,

Due to the wonderful work of some of our Quenchers, we learned that there were duplicates within our sample of Control galaxies. In response, I identified suitable replacements (sources at the correct redshift and mass range for that post-quenched galaxy control) and have uploaded them into the classification page.

I just posted a blog on blog.galaxyzoo.org about this. Definitely go check that out and then jump in on the additional classifications.

The blog post also mentions that I'll be doing a series of Quench Boost posts, building on all the incredibly useful feedback and work that Quenchers have provided.

I can't say enough how thankful I am for those of you who have stuck with us through the initial growing pains of a new experiment like this one. We've learned so much in the past few weeks, and I'm really excited for where this project is headed!

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

I'm getting a fair few of these repeated (same ref numbers so not duplicates!) I'm happy to classify them more than once but should this be happening?

Posted

Could you explain a little more what you mean by this? Is it that as you're classifying, you keep coming across the same galaxies? I think that's what you're saying. I've emailed the developer about this and will get back to you ASAP! Thank you for posting this!

Posted

Related question -- since there are only a few dozen new galaxies to classify, could it be that you're classifying faster than you thought and you're already back to the beginning of the list? I'm guessing this isn't the case, but worth asking.

Thank you!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to trouille's comment.

I had the same experience as jules, and I'm sure I'd classified only a dozen or so new objects.

As chance would have it, I'd clicked 'yes' to 'Would you like to discuss this object?' the first time, so I know which object it is: AGS00004nh

Posted

I 've just classified another 20 and this one appeared twice:

AGS00004o7

Posted

Now 25 classifications and this one has appeared twice:
    AGS00004n1

Posted

3 repeats in 40 classifications so Jean was about right with her dozen or so before a repeat appeared.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

I'd classified considerably more than a dozen or so, and had noticed another repeat. However, I was not paying any attention, prior to the repeat of AGS00004nh. I could well have had even more repeats, but simply not noticed. Also, I have no idea what the interval was, between the other repeat which I did - vaguely - notice.

Anyway, it's always good to have someone else replicate one's own result! 😄 Thanks jules.

Posted

• dennispattensr by dennispattensr

I guess they took the galaxy pics down, as I do not get anything when I select CLASSIFY... Send us an email when it is back up.

Posted

Dear all,

In our excitement that the classifications were complete SO FAST (by Tuesday morning!!!) Kyle posted over at the regular Galaxy Zoo Talk the following:

Thanks for everyone’s classifications – as of Aug 27, we’ve gotten the extra data that we needed for the boost sample. Classifications are now closed again. If you’re interested in participating further in GZ: Quench, please continue working here (link to Quench Talk), in Tools, and see Laura’s post on the GZ blog (especially her comments). If you want to keep classifying, regular Galaxy Zoo is always still there — with new images coming soon!

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ000085d

http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2013/08/23/quench-boost-a-how-to-guide-part-1/#comment-9944

https://twitter.com/galaxyzoo/status/372418617209409536

But no post appeared here on Quench Talk, which I sincerely apologize for. As you can see from this post, I've had to focus 100% since Friday on an NSF proposal. But happily I'm back in Quench-land starting today!

Posted