Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

An update on the project status

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

Hello zooites of Galaxy Zoo Quench!

I’m happy to report that the Quench science team lead, Laura Trouille, is back after taking time off for maternity leave—and both mom and baby are doing quite well.

Laura has just about caught up with work and is prepared to return to Quench. The classification portion of this project is done, and Laura is starting in on the framework of a publishable paper, but there’s still plenty of discussion to be had about the results of the project.

She’ll be returning here to Talk soon (Tuesday) to provide more details. Look for that soon!

Good luck, all!

DZM

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Dear all,

So happy to be turning my attention back to Quench! As DZM wrote, our little family is doing great and I've had the time I needed to catch up on projects that were put on hold during maternity leave.

First, a request: please post here a brief message just to share if you're wanting to take part in this final phase to review results we had in the spring and start the writing process. Your involvement can be as small or as involved as you like -- totally up to you. It'd be great at this point just to know who's still in.

Second - I've started a thread to help organize ourselves for this final phase. The thread is to gather links to posts discussing the results we had gathered last Spring.

BTW, thank goodness the Zooniverse talk forums are getting a makeover (led by our wonderful DZM!). But for us, let's remember to keep our sense of humor and do our best with the current framework.

Thank you all for your patience!
    Laura

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Welcome back Laura,

I'm still here. I'll be traveling soon and won't be able to contribute much for the next 12 days or so, but after that I can commit some time to the project.

I'll post some links to discussions that I think merit some attention in the thread you started a little later.

Mike

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to trouille's comment.

Great to have you back Laura, and glad to hear things are returning to normal.

Yes, I want to take part in the final phase; I hope to be heavily involved.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Good to have you back Laura.

I'm still here and want to take part in the final phases.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The weekend is upon us. All three ordinary zooites who were active 'at the end' (just before Quench went into hibernation) are now back (mlpeck, me, ChrisMolloy).

I think there are only two others who were active in Stage 2, jules and zutopian. Could I suggest that you contact them both, privately, yourself Laura?

There may have been some other ordinary zooites who dropped by in the last few months, but I don't recall any of them returning. Also, while "Currently Online" is not a reliable indicator of who is, in fact, online, I have not noticed anyone other than the four of us, these last few days (of course, I'm not online myself, 24x7, so it's entirely possible I missed some people).

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I think there are only two others who were active in Stage 2, jules and zutopian. Could I suggest that you contact them both, privately, yourself Laura?

Thanks for your kind comment, but I am not interested to re-join this project. I didn't contribute anything noteworthy and hence it doesn't make sense for me to consider participating in the final stage. Anyway. I am looking forward to read the paper!

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Thanks for the heads up Jean. I'm glad to see Quench is getting back on track but I won't be active in the next stage as I am involved in other projects now. I didn't expect Quench to take quite this long! If any of my early plots are of any merit then please go ahead and use / tweak them. Good luck to those who are left. 😃 And I too look forward to reading the paper!

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist

I'll also be offering my help - mostly on running the consensus algorithms for the data the Zooites have generated, and some feedback on the astronomical results. Please contact me directly if you have any questions about the raw data or the way in which I've generated the vote fractions. I'll try to get back as quickly as possible, since I know everyone is eager to try and finalize results as soon as we can.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

And another weekend begins.

May we have an update on status, please Laura?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Still dormant it seems.

Says it all; another week - and more - has gone by, and no news.

Posted