Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Temporary pause in Quench (resume July 25th)

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Dear all,

Wonderful news, though it throws a temporary wrench in Quench plans. Hannah Trouille Geller was born to two very happy parents just under three weeks ago. She's our first and it's been an amazing experience so far. After a bit of a rocky start, we're so thankful that both she and I are doing well.

She did take us quite by surprise though, arriving several weeks earlier than expected. I had planned for us to have an initial draft of our article before she arrived. Given that we're not yet at that stage, I've emailed with the Science Team and we hope that you all would be OK with pausing Quench until my return from maternity leave on July 25th. You are of course welcome to continue your efforts while I'm on leave, but knowing that Science Team input/interaction will resume when my maternity leave ends. On July 25th I'll send an email (to you who have been active these past few months) and post here on the board letting you know that I'm back at work and ready to pick up where we left off.

I know that this is not ideal, but I hope you understand.

Laura

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Laura:

Congratulations! I hope the baby is well.

There are things that can be done without science team input such as compiling a list of references. I may work on that, time permitting.

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Dear all,

I have the opportunity to extend my maternity leave from 2 months (oi, America!) to 4 months (hurray for the civilized world!). The downside is that this further delays the restart of Quench to September 21st. I hope you all understand. I will send an email and post here on the board letting you know when I am back from leave and ready to pick up where we left off.

I know that this is not ideal, but I do hope you understand.

-Laura

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

DZM, the latest member of the Zooniverse team (and who's based in Chicago), posted this, over in RGZ Talk:

By the way, I caught up with Laura Trouille today. Quench has been on a slight hiatus, as Laura was out on maternity leave. She's just finished sorting through all of the work that was accumulated while she was away, and is preparing to return to the Quench project! 😃

She added that the classification portion of the project is essentially done, and that they're about to start working on a paper. There may be some additional work for dedicated Quench zooites, and there should be something posted up on the Quench Talk and/or the Galaxy Zoo blog very soon. Stay tuned!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Earlier today (or yesterday, depends on where you are), DZM started a new thread here, An update on the project status:

Hello zooites of Galaxy Zoo Quench!

I’m happy to report that the Quench science team lead, Laura Trouille, is back after taking time off for maternity leave—and both mom and baby are doing quite well.

Laura has just about caught up with work and is prepared to return to Quench. The classification portion of this project is done, and Laura is starting in on the framework of a publishable paper, but there’s still plenty of discussion to be had about the results of the project.

She’ll be returning here to Talk soon (Tuesday) to provide more details. Look for that soon!

Good luck, all!

DZM

Posted