Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Monday, August 5th -- Quench Talk Office Hours

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Hi all,

Just a note to let you know that I'm online and looking forward to talking with you all!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to trouille's comment.

Hi Laura,

Since Friday, there have been a good many questions posted here, in Quench Talk, which were - directly or indirectly - addressed to you, or for which you would seem to be the best person (by far) to answer.

Would it help if someone were to consolidate these, so you can at least have the opportunity to read them all, in one place?

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

I hope you'll take a look at this thread:

http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS0000006/discussions/DGS00001wo,

and perhaps this one:

http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS0000007/discussions/DGS00001x8.

One thing some of us noticed this weekend is there are a small number (3, or more likely 4) of catastrophic errors in H-alpha flux estimates. These wouldn't be a huge problem except that the graphical tools available here don't seem to know what to do about outliers.

The other thread I highlighted is more an issue for web administrators than scientists. Some of us would really like to share results from our own (offline) tools, and the available method seems a bit cumbersome.

Thanks!

Posted

Good question, tricky answer. Both yes and no, and I'm leaning towards 'no'. There's a wonderful group of moderators and members of the science team who are working to be more active on this site. As in most science collaborations, there isn't a single person calling all the shots and acting as the only go-to.

But, you can see that as a team, we're still learning how to navigate the online discussion space. Part of this is to learn how to move through the different discussion boards and be responsive to questions in their respective spaces.

One of the aspects of the discussion board we're wrestling with is how to organize topics. Any chance you have suggestions on how we might do this better? We know right now it's not the easiest place to navigate.

Posted

Hello mlpeck,

Let's check the latest Quench Tools update. I'll do this as well, but if you could open Quench Tools and test the following, that would be great. On Friday I spoke with the programmer about the axis range question. He said he'd implement a fix so that we could set the axes range values. For example, if it automatically plots the Halpha flux range to be from 0 to 10^5, we should be able to change it so that it's only from 0 to some value that works best for us.

It may be that he hasn't yet been able to implement the fix, in which case I'll ping him again and have him give us an ETA.

Posted

As for the second, I wholly agree! We need a better way to share results we create on our own computers.

Is there a way to use Quench Talk to do this? One idea I've wondered about is -- If we each have a dropbox folder (free online storage space), we could upload images, tables, files containing code, etc. there, and then include the URL in posts on Quench Talk, so others can use what we've created.

Did you have ideas on how we could do this?

Posted

Mlpeck, the axis range function hasn't yet been implemented in Tools. Ed is working on that this afternoon. I'll post when it's up.

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig

Finally got it (tools) to work. My fault not GZ's 😉

It seems like plotting h-alpha/beta against anything causes an error because there is an odd value. I guess see above. a simple range filter would be easiest.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Are you, Laura, the PI for this project?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

hi wrt the halpha flux, if you make a table from the sample data then use "filter .halpha_flux less than 2000" on it then use the table as the data source for the scatter gram it plots just fine. doesnt work for the control group as the data seems not to be there NB you need to use the less than sign rather than "less than" - these boards won't accept it ands chops all the following text from a post if you try and use it

Posted

JT, check out http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS000000c. Brief description of who I am.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks!

Posted