Tools Issues

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Slow loading issues...

Posted

• john21baxter_ by john21baxter_

many thanks and I'll start all of this as soon as I can

Posted

• kasiulka85 by kasiulka85

im unhappy, from 3 days i try to start using zooniverse tools and all the time there is a "loading Please Wait...' what to do??

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to kasiulka85's comment.

Yes, something seems to be broken, and no Science Team or Development Team member has been along to even confirm that (much less suggest when it might be fixed). If it's any consolation, I don't know of any zooite who has successfully used Tools these past few days ...

Has any of the mods heard anything? Jules? Wassock? Lpspieler?

Posted

• jheadlee by jheadlee

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

Posted

• kasiulka85 by kasiulka85 in response to JeanTate's comment.

thanks for the answer, now i can stop searching why it doesn't work. you guys could write it that it doesn't work, to make other people have peace of mind;]

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

I'm finding Tools a little slow to load but apart from that I'm in. It did load straight to the tutorial a couple of times but as soon as I started the tutorial I had access to my dashboard. Is it still a problem for you?

I've alerted the team anyway.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

I've tried loading Tools several times, over the past few days - both natively and by clicking on various people's "Dashboard" links (including my own).

Had zero success. 😦

Until ... just now, when it loaded, albeit very slowly ...

ETA: "Download" is still a "no go" though

Posted

I am informed that Tools should now be working OK. If anyone is not able to launch Tools please let me know.

(Still waiting to hear about downloading.)

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Hi all,

Check out the following posts, which help address these issues.

Data Download now fixed: http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Quench%20Launch#/boards/BGS0000006/discussions/DGS00001y8

Slow Dashboard suggestions: http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS0000006/discussions/DGS00001yq

Blank plot fix: http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS0000006/discussions/DGS00001yr

Posted

Thanks Laura (and fearless Ed!) Hopefully we're back on track. 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

New issue (well, new to me): in choosing an axis limit - X-Min, X-Max, Y-Min, or Y-Max - for Scatterplot, you can restrict the range to something less than that of the data you're plotting. Good. But you can't expand the range.

For example:
    http://tools.zooniverse.org/#/dashboards/galaxy_zoo_starburst/521849c2a6742469fc000136

In the first plot (QS P50 between 5" and 10"), the x-axis goes to 0.070, just above the redshift of the object with the largest redshift. I wanted to extend this to 0.10, which is the what the second plot (QC P50 between 5" and 10") shows.

How do I make X-Max in the first plot 0.10?

Posted

Did you fix this Jean? I see both x axes going to 0.10.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

No I didn't touch it.

Weird; despite what I'd constructed, when I refreshed, I got two identical scatterplots! 😦 They're both based on the QC catalog, despite the fact that I'd selected QS for the first one!

Posted

Very weird. I thought I detected some differences in the (very similar) plots. Now they are obviously identical! 😮

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Is therre a problem filtering tidal debris in tools? I've tried a number of times and it won't work. I type it into prompt and it executes ok but nothing is filtered out. Can filter the other merging categories ok.

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

Entering this in the command box worked for me:

filter .merging = 'Tidal debris' 

There should be 355 of these in the quench sample.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to mlpeck's comment.

Thanks. That worked. Exact numbers.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

I don't know if this is a tools question, probably more general science question (related to tools usage) but I'll post it here anyway. How do you read age and metallicity of the d4000. I read Laura's post here (scroll down) that

The post-quenched galaxies D4000 values are between 1 and 1.5, which corresponds with less than 1 Gyr (1 billion years) since star formation...the control galaxies span the full range of values from 1 to 2, corresponding to a million to 10 billion years since star formation.

So how would you read a number of say 0.5 or 3 in terms of age? Star formation meaning since the genesis of the galaxy?

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

So how would you read a number of say 0.5 or 3 in terms of age?

This is definitely more of a science question than a tools question, and a scientist should answer it.

D4000 depends on age and metallicity in older populations, so you can't uniquely determine an age from its value in any given spectrum.

Posted

I think you have answered my question. Probably reading the values the wrong way. I should have added a question on metallicity. Was doing some u-r scatterplots with d4000 and wanted to make sure I understood the d4000 values. So the value of 1-2 for QC is because it is an older population (and covers a wider range in years) and more metal rich, whereas the QS sample is younger and less metal rich, hence the 1-1.5 value? The values being metallicity content?

Maybe a scientist could answer this response if I'm incorrect in my assumption.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

I agree with mlpeck's comment: your question is a good one, and best answered by a SCIENTIST (or any other astronomer familiar with this topic).

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

Figure 4 in this paper by Nielsen et al. (2012) (the arxiv preprint is at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1106.0757v2) has a nice graph of the evolution of post starburst galaxy models in the Hδ - D4000 plane. Notice that for any given model D4000 increases monotonically with age, but in their models it also depends on the strength of the starburst (and metallicity, but they just showed solar metallicity models there).

About half the quench sample lies in the same region of this graph as their sample.

Posted

Thanks. That's helpful.

Posted