Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Glossary

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi is there anywhere a glossary for the long list of parameters available for chart axies?
    Halpha Flux (etc.) are plotted on a scale in 100,000 increments but the actual plotted numbers are much smaller putting all the points on the baseline

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Yes, check out this discussion thread: http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGS0000006/discussions/DGS00001x7

Also, we need to revise those scatter plots so that they make sense given the range of values for a given parameter. Definitely. I've emailed Ed, the Tools software developer, about this. He'll either post his response here or I'll port it over from his email. Really glad you posted about this. Thanks!

Update from 08/08: Ed updated Quench Tools so now you can control the range of values for each axis in any plot you make. Really helpful addition.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Not quite the same "Glossary" topic, but the names within Tools can be confusing!

For example, "Subject Viewer": "Subject" is a Zooniverse term, the corresponding word in SDSS is "Object". For us, here in Quench, we'd probably say "galaxy".

When you click on a tool ("Map", say, or "Table"), the first choice you have to make is "Data Source", and the drop-down box asks you to "Select Tool". It takes a while to realize just what the choices you've been offered actually are!

If you have a Table, with more than one page, "Subject Selection" - choices are "Previous" and "Next" - moves you one page back, or forwards (as do the "less than" and "greater than arrows in the 'menu bar')" . However, in Subject Viewer, you move one object (a.k.a. subject) at a time.

Quite what "Layout" does is rather mysterious (to me).

Posted