Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Use of inverted image

• Spacer_fielding by Spacer_fielding

When inverting the image (white background), there are apparent fans, jets and other patterns visible that aren't as obvious in the normal image (dark b/g). Are these valid observations, or merely the eye seeking order from chaos?

Inverting sort of helps to distinguish stars, as they typical remain 'dense' while galaxies look diffuse.

Thanks! this is a great project ...

Posted

• mzevin1 by mzevin1 scientist, moderator

I feel that inverting the image can definitely help, and lead to valid observations. Inverting can help find tidal debris as well as distinguishing stars from galaxies.

Posted

• wkovach by wkovach

Scientifically the only way to see details is with a negative (inverted) image. Usually in one color. Pretty photos don't give you much information.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Spacer fielding's comment.

Inverting can sometimes make more obvious features which are hard to see otherwise. I've also found that there seems to be a subtle change in contrast, in going to an inverted images.

What features, in an image, are real and what are artifacts (of many different kinds) is often very hard to tell. Especially when it comes to features that are rare in real objects, and which can look for all the world like artifacts! Examples? Perhaps my fave of fave is this one, which Els correctly identified as a gravitational lens:

enter image description here

Here's the inverted image:

enter image description here

Posted