Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Blog mentions Quench - http://www.fastcolabs.com

• jules by jules moderator

Armchair Astronomers Help Discover Why Galaxies Stop Producing Stars

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

Cool!

There's quite a good population of stay-at-home mothers who have always been interested in science and if they have an hour here or there they get online.

Does that describe you, jules? 😉

We have one person who has a really deep understanding of statistical analysis, so he has been an integral part of the research team.

No prize for correctly guessing mlpeck!

The Y axis shows whether the galaxy has signatures of having collided with another galaxy

Such a pity that the veracity of the data on which this rests has been called into question by the strange changes to what's in the database - derived from our collective clicks - that Tools uses. 😢

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

OK, so I tried to write/post a comment on that excellent article, only to find that I need to 'log in', and that such a log in can only be done via my Twitter or Facebook account. Of course, I consider Twitter something which only twits (in the British sense) join, and that Facebook is the world's greatest privacy disaster waiting to happen (not to mention that no one in China can view either, much less sign up for), so my comment remains unposted.

Here is what I would have written:

Very cool article, Ciara!

Thanks for writing about this fascinating aspect of citizen science (yes, I confess that I'm irredeemably biased).

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

We have one person who has a really deep understanding of statistical analysis, so he has been an integral part of the research

team.

No prize for correctly guessing mlpeck!

Me? I'm flattered I guess, but I'd call my understanding of statistics more superficial than deep. I do like playing with data though!

The Y axis shows whether the galaxy has signatures of having collided with another galaxy

Such a pity that the veracity of the data on which this rests has been
    called into question by the strange changes to what's in the database

• derived from our collective clicks - that Tools uses. 😢

Yes, the lack of timely and accurate data updates has been one of the more frustrating aspects of this project. And having to use Zooniverse tools to access data -- well, tools might be useful some day but not today.

I know you've posted questions about data integrity in at least three different forums. Any responses yet?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to mlpeck's comment.

You say "potato", I say "potato" ... I'd really love to have your "superficial" understanding! 😛

I know you've posted questions about data integrity in at least three different forums. Any responses yet?

No, with one caveat (see below). I've also sent a PM/email or two; same status.

Perhaps the most, um, interesting is one you - and others who still drop by here - may not have seen: Is question 6 also answered for stars/artifacts (answer 1.3)? ... it concerns the Kaggle $10k Galaxy Zoo - The Galaxy Challenge, and was first reported by sedielem (whose submission is high on the leaderboard). Several others discovered this independently (I merely confirmed it, but did not say so publicly), and Kyle Willett has been looking into it for ~eight days' now. Of course, this may turn out to have nothing to do with the integrity of the clicks database(s).

The caveat: over in Radio Galaxy Zoo there is some public discussion of what might have happened; see the ARG00000eb - yet another zoomed out, possibly mismatched image? thread, and posts/threads linked to in it.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

There's quite a good population of stay-at-home mothers who have always been interested in science and if they have an hour here or there they get online.

Does that describe you, jules? 😉

Well I'll admit to having always been interested in science but the "stay-at-home mothers" bit doesn't apply! 😃

Posted