Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Internet woes

• jules by jules moderator

Just a quick moan to let everyone know that we have intermittent connectivity problems so if I'm not around much it's not by choice! I really need to follow up on Laura's latest blog post and get some more plots done too so this is very inconvenient. All to do with bandwidth and internet traffic. We're working on it.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to jules's comment.

Just a quick question. Loading dashboards. Is there a step by step guide? Or how do you do it? Just in case I was doing it wrong.

Posted

Not too sure what you mean by loading Chris. The tutorial covers how to access the data and "make" a dashboard and you can provide a link so others can see your dashboard by clicking "share" and choosing "url" from your main dashboard menu page. I bet you knew that though - I have a feeling I've missed your point!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

Good luck with that, I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

ChrisMolloy: jules is right; there is no shortage of details in the Tools tutorials. Is there something in particular that you're having trouble with?

Posted

Loading in a post. I'll play around again and get back to you if I need too as I was trying to load them when the internet problems started so could be due to that.

Posted

Not sure if this is what you mean but we can't image-link to specific plots. That would be really useful - though I can understand why it's not possible (the originals will change as we amend things etc). What I do is copy the image (using windows snipping tool) and use an image hosting site (flickr in my case) to link from.

Posted

No, not image linking to specific plots. Specifically sharing dashoards in a post. Just so I'm clear, when sharing a dashboard you just copy the url into the post directly? When I was copying the url into the post nothing was happening. Tonight some of it seemed to work. Created a test post and looked in preview. Half of what I'd created loaded.

I'll look into the image hosting site. You can't take screenshots and directly insert?

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

No - there's no way to insert a screenshot.other than to host it somewhere and link to it.

Just trying a link to one of my (not so interesting) dashboards. Don't pay any attention to the content!

http://tools.zooniverse.org/#/dashboards/galaxy_zoo_starburst/5207cae40aab2a5429000098

that's just pasting the link and it seems to work. Having said that some dashboards take an AGE to load for me so it might be worth just waiting a little longer.

Posted

Hi Jules,

Got it to work. Posted fine. Thanks for your help.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

It worked. Posted fine. Did the first look at asymmetrical classifications. Now going to look at next level.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

Yay! Onwards and upwards. 😄 Might even get some done myself now the interweb is playing nice again.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

As good a thread to add this as any ...

I've been having some 'internet woes' today (and several other 'woes' besides), and they may persist into tomorrow. I may be scarce until they become, well, less woeful 😛

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Am back for a while, fingers crossed, but likely with limited time for Quench (internet now seems healthy though).

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

No internet woes, but I think I'm going to take a break for a while. At least I don't plan to initiate any topics. I will discuss things that are on the table now, if anyone is interested.

Basically, I've run out of ideas, I have other demands on my time, and I'm still not seeing the level of engagement from the credentialed scientists necessary to get this project finished any time soon.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to mlpeck's comment.

I'm certainly interested! And the lack of involvement by 'credentialed scientists' may be partly due to me: until I've finished identifying ppos (potentially problematic objects) among "the 1149" (QS) and "the 1196" (QC), we can't really move forward with analyses, can we? (that's how I understand the project dependency anyway). FWIW, the number of ppos is likely to be >~1.5 in dex units (i.e. >~30), but less than ~2.3, for each (based on what I've found so far, and how close to completion my work is).

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I may have limited time online over the next week or so ...

Posted