Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

help please drowning in numbers

• carol_tye by carol_tye

I am out of my depth here.
    The spread sheet is full of data in a sheet called navigator, what do I do with it now. The tutorial stopped at this point.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to carol tye's comment.

Hi carol; I'd love to help if I can.

What spreadsheet are you referring to? And where did the numbers come from?

Posted

• carol_tye by carol_tye

Thanks for replying Jean.
    i followed the tutorial up tp the point where it said download data, and got 152 pages of this

uid image thumb ra dec u g r i z survey log_mass sdss_id petro_r50 redshift
    AGS00002bf http://quench.galaxyzoo.org/subjects/standard/51d476ee0374f5b382000bbb.jpg http://quench.galaxyzoo.org/subjects/thumbnail/51d476ee0374f5b382000bbb.jpg 228.9919 19.727058 19.0061 17.1641 16.314 15.8512 15.5056 sloan 10.420425 5.88E+17 5.37256 0.047927909
    AGS00002bg http://quench.galaxyzoo.org/subjects/standard/51d476ee0374f5b382000bbc.jpg http://quench.galaxyzoo.org/subjects/thumbnail/51d476ee0374f5b382000bbc.jpg 156.58063 38.08979 19.824 17.8555 16.9291 16.4857 16.1311 sloan 10.69849 5.88E+17 1.45752 0.083999358
    i havent got a clue what to do with it , or what it means

Posted

Ah, I see now.

My guess is that what you have is a table of everything in the Quench Sample (or Quench Control? I forget which the tutorial asks you to pick), a kind of 'database dump'. Which is, as you say, utterly overwhelming (not to mention nigh on meaningless).

Can you post a link to your dashboard? Laura describes how to do that in the Sharing Tools Dashboards thread.

Also, what browser are you using? I think I saw some comments - somewhere here! - to the effect that IE9 (or was it IE10?) isn't ideal. I use Firefox, and have had no problems so far (well, I've had a great many problems, but none that seem browser-related).

Anyway, I'll take a look - by going through the tutorial again - later this weekend, and see if I can explain things a bit for you. Also, did you see the annotated Hangout? the one in which Brooke and Laura (et al.) did a kinda live tutorial? It's in the Next GZ (Tools!) Hangout: Wednesday 24th July, 20:30 GMT blog (you should make the video full screen, once it gets going).

Posted

• carol_tye by carol_tye

Thanks for the links, I shall try them later today and see if any light shines,
    regards CT

Posted

• carol_tye by carol_tye

OK Jean,
    have watched the tutorial and was much enlightened. but have decided to call it a day, and leave it to much more informed people such as yourself, because i don,t understand navigating the site and the complexities of the thing.
    good luck with the project
    regards CT

Posted

Sorry to hear that carol; you sure I - or someone else here - could persuade you to keep going?

Anyway, I now understand what you meant by "spread sheet is full of data in a sheet called navigator". Yes, it's like you were thrown in at the very deepest of deep ends, without the slightest bit of guidance, much less a lifejacket! If you would like to keep going, I'd be more than happy to help you find your way through all this ('to the best of my ability', it goes without saying; in far more respects than you could possibly imagine, I'm just as much a total newbie too).

Posted

• carol_tye by carol_tye

Dear Jean
    thanks for the offer , but no, it is just going over my head.
    i love classifying and seeing the wonderful things that space shows us, especially the ones I have nicknamed powder puffs, I just love the pink and purple colours, and have decided to collect as many as them as I can , when time allows.
    good luck with it all,
    and by the way ,you are no way a newbie, you understate yourself, you are a very knowledgeable and kind person.
    Carol

Posted