Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

A very milky way

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi just trying to get all this data sorted in my head, so this is red shift 0.01 so fairly close to home and a smallish alpha H so cooling down ( or starting up?) on star formation?
    What's the great big OIII peak telling us?

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

As far as I'm aware it's a sure sign of star forming regions indicating lots of hot oxygen - like the Galaxy Zoo peas.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to wassock's comment.

Fairly close to home, yes. The color is blue, and the continuum in the spectrum rises almost to 400nm, so there are, relatively speaking, a lot of hot stars. The nebular lines - [OIII], [NII], [SII] - are fairly weak (except for the main [OIII] 500.7nm one). It's a pretty ratty spectrum, but the Na, Mg, and Ca absorption lines are all pretty weak; perhaps in part because this galaxy has a low 'metallicity' (the proportion of elements heavier than He is waay smaller than that found in the Sun)?

So? Likely a nearby dwarf galaxy, which recently had a burst of star-formation, but as it's a low metallicity galaxy, with little dust and a relatively low gas density, the star-formation is (or was) rather quiet, and spread throughout the galaxy? Quite a contrast to Green Peas!

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

And just as I disappear to read up more a brilliant answer appears! Thanks Jean. 😃

Posted