Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

AGS000022h

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig

Interesting mass of trailing "debris" here. Or are they just very loose arms. They seem to bent as if they were counterclockwise rotating, but... JT?

Posted

• mzevin1 by mzevin1 scientist, moderator

I'd say more likely tidal debris than loose arms since we don't see any arms on the other side of the galaxy. Possibly due to interactions with the companion in the field?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Tidal debris for me too. This is almost a perfect example of the post-Q candidates in that its spectrum is sooo A-like!

enter image description here

Yet it also has nebular lines, so perhaps there's still some star-formation? Or an AGN? If the latter, it must be hidden, because the continuum isn't the least bit blue ... yet the spectroscopic pipeline said "broadline"!

Anyway, it is, IMHO, so typical of post-Q candidates: bright, point-like nucleus (tiny bulge?), just like an AGN; small galaxy (apart from hints of low surface-brightness tidal debris); white.

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig

I am not sure that the other object isn't too far away. Maybe it interacted a long time ago and the filaments are as mzevin1 says just that. Nonetheless why don't they go in the same direction? Angular momentum might suggest that if there was AM transfer at the time of interaction they should go in the same direction. A jet-like structure?

I agree with JT about the unusual structure. It does look post quench-like, with "added features"

Question I always have is, what is the scale that we are looking at in these images?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Here's the object as it appears in DR10:

enter image description here

Using Ned Wright's CosmoCalc, and its default LCDM parameter values, at a z of 0.214, 1" corresponds to 3.45 kpc. So the longest filament/tidal tail is ~5", or ~17 kpc. Which is big; roughly comparable to the effective radii of the first four HUDS I investigated in detail (per my Letter).

Posted