Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Clove shape

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi all. as a comparative novice at this I just wanted to see what I should be making of this. Edge on disc with a lump on the end or is it 2 things getting together?
    Also the spectrum on skyserver has a lot more going on at the right hand end than others I've looked at - not seen enough to know if this is within the range of normal

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The main object - the one in the center - looks to me like an #Eos (edge-on spiral, not the Greek goddess of the dawn!), an undisturbed one at that. The blue clump/blob at the top-right end may be a foreground #overlap, an irregular perhaps. But it may, in fact, be a #merger.

As the object is faint, the spectrum is noisy ("ratty", as NGC3314 calls these). At z=0.032, this is pretty local, and rather yellow for an Eos (and small too). The messiness of the long-wavelength part of the spectrum (red end, right hand end) is surely due to a mixture of faintness (intrinsic noise) and incomplete removal of 'airglow lines' (the atmosphere emits lots of light, called airglow; in the infrared - beyond ~750 nm - an awful lot of this light is due to emission of molecules like water and OH).

Posted