Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

Possible star forming galaxy?

• jules by jules moderator

Could it be? The spectrum has an impressive Ha spike. Maybe this one's not so quenched.
    enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

More likely to be a control than a post-Q candidate ... not only are there several prominent 'nebular' emission lines (a post-Q galaxy shouldn't have many, if any, unless it's also got an AGN), but H-beta is in emission (as is H-alpha). That's quite unlike the 'A star' spectrum post-Q candidates are supposed to resemble.

Here's the an SDSS DR5 A star template spectrum; it doesn't have the same binning as our project's DR9 ones do, but the overall features are still pretty clear, especially the progressively deeper Balmer absorption lines:

enter image description here

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Thanks Jean - I'm taking a crash course on spectra. 😃 Spent too much time on the Moon and Sun and need a refresher. There are some good resources linked to on GZQ Talk (I'm just back off holiday and catching up by reading all the posts). I think a resource thread might be in order to collect them all. Unless I haven't found that one yet!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to jules's comment.

No there isn't really a nice, tied-up-with-a-bow set of resources (yet).

There are quite a few useful bits and pieces, but nothing well organized. For example, we could really do with something like Budgieye's GZ forum thread, Zooite Guide to SDSS Spectra, and NGC3314's Tutorial bits on galaxy spectra

Especially, if someone would take the trouble to update key parts with typical DR9 spectra ... 😉

Posted