Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

MODERATOR? SCIENTIST?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I gather from wassock's post that "the moderators from all the various zooniverse projects were invited to come play", meaning that 'once a mod, always - and everywhere - a mod'; is that true?

Is the same true for SCIENTIST? Who decides/decided which zooites/scientists would be SCIENTIST in Quench Talk?

Presumably you could be an astronomer, with a bazillion papers published, and not be a SCIENTIST, right? In fact, there are several professional astronomers here, active in the last few days, who are not SCIENTISTs, right?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Jean as I went on to say I think that the idea was to have a group of people who understand how the boards work and have already shown some inclination to roll their sleeves up, the tags moderator and scientist are more related to levels of access to the back side of the project than any indicator of rank, knowledge or professional standing. I think, but not entirely sure, that most of those tagged scientist are here as part (however loosely) of their regular 9-5 jobs, whatever that means.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to wassock's comment.

Thanks wassock.

Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes get quite disconcerted when something unexpected happens, and there's no background I can refer to. Perhaps it's because the only connection I have to astronomy is entirely online, and - these days - almost solely the Zooniverse and its various projects.

It may be that you mods have your own, private, channels of communication; it may be that everyone who's a "Science Team member" is automatically a SCIENTIST (and those who are not, not); etc. But I - for one - would like to know (or at least be able to find out, from easily accessible, public, online sources).

FWIW (for what it's worth, a FLA I picked up a while ago), I am in awe of astronomers like Bill Keel (NGC3314); seems like he's online 24/7, jumps in to answer questions all over the place, has infinite patience, clearly deeply loves astronomy, ... you couldn't find a more stark contrast to a person with a "regular 9-5 job"! 😃

Posted