Galaxy Zoo Starburst Talk

"021020" catalogs: "the 1149" and "the 1196", with extra fields (BPT, ppo, ...)

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The second post in this thread will contain links to a pair of Google spreadsheets (CSV files), QS and QC catalogs of "the 1149" and "the 1196", respectively. In this post I will describe what's in them, and how I created them.

My starting point is the "11 April" catalogs, posted by Kyle, on p8 of the Quench project: a proposal aimed at reviving and completing it. thread; here is a direct link to that post.

"the 1149" refers to the 1149 QS ("sample") objects which meet both these selection criteria:

• 0.02 < z < 0.10
    • Z (estimated z-band absolute magnitude) brighter than -20.0

"the 1196" are the 1196 QC ("control") objects which meet the same criteria.

The two catalogs in the next post both contain all the fields in "the 11 April" catalogs, in the same order, and also the following three fields:

• uid: the AGS ID corresponding to the OBJID (or sdss_id)
    • ppo: a flag field; value is 1 if identified as a potentially problematic object on p3 and p4 of the Potentially Problematic Sources in 'Subset 2 -- 1149 Source Sample' thread, otherwise 0
    • BPTtype: values 1 ("AGN"), 2 ("Starforming", SFR), 3 ("Composite"), 4 ("May be LINER"), and 9 ("other"); see below for details

The QS catalog has an additional five fields:

• RA_mlp: RA per mlpeck (SDSS III mlpeck group table, mlpeck.mlpeck54.quenchdb)
    • Dec_mlp: Dec per mlpeck (SDSS III mlpeck group table, mlpeck.mlpeck54.quenchdb)
    • QC_ObjId: ObjId of matching QC object, per mlpeck (January 25 2014; p8 of Dealing with Sample Selection Issues)
    • QC_uid: uid of matching QC object, per mlpeck (January 25 2014; p8 of Dealing with Sample Selection Issues)
    • log_mass_mlp: LOG_MASS per mlpeck (September 11 2013; p2 of Estimating the missing stellar masses); different from LOG_MASS for those QS objects with LOG_MASS values of -1 only

I have been unsuccessful in finding the thread(s) containing the post(s) which describe how BPTtype was calculated. However, the method is as follows ("S/N" is (FLUX_ERR/FLUX)):

1	"AGN"	S/N > 3 for all lines, AND log(O[III]/Hβ) > (0.61/(log([NII]/Hα)-0.47)+1.19
    2	"SFR"	S/N > 3 for all lines, AND log(O[III]/Hβ) less_than (0.61/(log([NII]/Hα)-0.05)+1.3
    3	"Composite"	S/N > 3 for all lines, AND NOT AGN, AND NOT SFR
    4	"may be LINER"	S/N > 3 in both lines AND [N II]6584/Hα > 0.6 
    9	"other"	else

UPDATE: I found the post(s) where I explained how I determined the BPTtype; they're on p6 of the Dealing with Sample Selection Issues thread (December 30 2013):

The BPT formulae I used are:

• AGN: S/N > 3 for all lines, AND log(O[III]/Hβ) > (0.61/(log([NII]/Hα)-0.47)+1.191
    • SFR: S/N > 3 for all lines, AND log(O[III]/Hβ) < (0.61/(log([NII]/Hα)-0.05)+1.3
    • Composite: S/N > 3 for all lines, AND NOT AGN, AND NOT SFR
    • low S/N AGN: S/N > 3 for (both [NII]6584 and Hα) AND [NII]6584/Hα> 0.6

1 there's an additional requirement, if log([NII]/Hα) > 0.47

Where does "low S/N AGN", a.k.a. "may be LINER", come from? SDSS DR8.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Here are the links to the Google spreadsheets (CSV files):

gzquench_sample_consensus_withlabels_dupsremoved_021020 "the 1149"
    gzquench_control_consensus_withlabels_dupsremoved_021020 "the 1196"

Please let me know if you have any difficulty opening and/or reading/downloading either.

UPDATE (24April): The first file (QS objects, "the 1149") contained errors in the QC_ObjId and QC_uid fields. I have fixed them, and uploaded the correct file.

Posted

• trouille by trouille scientist, moderator, admin

Wonderful to see this! I'm headed home from a conference and will follow up tomorrow when I'm back at the office.

Posted